Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scout Guide Charleston

Everything Local in Charleston
Red and White Kites
Red and White Kites by Whitney Kreb

Early Spring Wind
Early Spring Wind by Anne Darby Parker
I am not an artistic person in the traditional sense. In high school, I fulfilled the required art credits by heading over to the boys’ school down the road for woodshop. Frustrated by the lack of original artwork in our home, I attempted a little painting of my own a few years ago. Let’s just say it didn’t turn out well. The hidden talent I thought I might uncover remains in hiding and my walls remain bare.
Brenda's Boat 6x8 oil on gesso's clayboard
Brenda's Boat by Susie Callahan
Exhale
Exhale by Lynne Hamontree

But not for long. I’ve recently discovered the Charleston Artist Collective which combines all good, Scout-y things: local artists, local charities and affordable beauty. Each month, a theme is chosen and the artists involved create their interpretations. 15% of the proceeds on paintings sold go directly to a local charity. The prices are unheard of with most ranging from $100-$250, and all transactions occur online.
April’s theme is ‘breath’ and each piece looks as if it was specifically designed for my home: beachy, breezy and blue. The current charity is the Footlight Players Theater, a community group dedicated to bringing “quality, affordable, and barrier-free community theater” to Charleston.
Art supporting art at a managable cost, from the comfort of your macbook.
Here are a few of April’s gems….dibs on the sailboat! 


Tell ‘em Scout sent you,
6a0134892a5121970c0167639528ee970b-120wi

No comments:

Post a Comment